Visa and stay: I am abroad, my visa is expiring or I have to apply for one for study purposes for the first time: how and where can I apply for an extension?

If you are currently staying abroad and your residence permit becomes invalid during this stay, it is possible to submit an application to the Berlin Immigration Office (LEA) for preliminary approval to re-issue your visa (informally and by email). You will then go to the embassy as soon as it opens again and receive a visa for re-entry.

Please also note: Nationals of Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand and the United States may enter Germany without a visa. You must obtain the necessary residence permit within 90 days of entry. This also applies to citizens of Andorra, Brazil, El Salvador, Honduras, Monaco and San Marino, but only if the stay is not primarily for gainful employment. Please see: Visa and stay: I can enter visa-free: How do I apply for the residence permit after arrival in Berlin?

With the help of: you can find out in which countries the visa offices are already open again
Please trust that we will give you all the support you need!
Please contact me if you have any questions, uncertainties or problems:
Leoni Adams:
Phone: +49-30-47705-232